SQL Server Performance

Is T-SQL Dead?

Discussion in 'Greg Larsen's Blog' started by Greg Larsen, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Greg Larsen New Member

On Tuesday I went to the SQL Server 2008 launch in Seattle. Of course the launch was more than just SQL Server 2008, it also included Windows Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008. So there was a lot of BUZZ about 2008 stuff going on.
    I attended one of the presentations on Visual Studio 2008 that was talking about LINQ. LINQ stands for Language Integrated Query. In this presentation they talked about how programmers can now get SQL Data into a object model using something called “LINQ to SQL”. So I browsed the web for LINQ to SQL document and here is a blurb from a Microsoft document :
    “In LINQ to SQL, the data model of a relational database is mapped to an object model expressed in the programming language of the developer.”
    Now by looking at this statement I get the impression that Microsoft thinks developers don’t use T-SQL as a programming language. So I wonder if LINQ will be the end of T-SQL code. I don’t think so! In fact I’m hoping our organization doesn’t start hiring a bunch of developers that don’t know T-SQL. I think there is value in leveraging new technology, but I think developers better understand what is behind the smoke and mirrors of LINQ. Meaning I think developers better understand T-SQL and how it is used to support converting SQL Server data into an object model.
    I think developers better understand T-SQL. Without this understanding I fear we are going to get a bunch of poor performing database applications using these new SQL Server access methods! Am I wrong in thinking this? Please provide your thoughts by commenting on how you think LINQ will affect SQL Server database performance.
    If you want to read more in the document I referred to above you can find it here:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386976.aspx
    Greg Larsen, MCITP
    http://sqlserverexamples.com
  2. unclebiguns New Member

I have spent quite a bit of time recently learning about Linq to SQL and discussing it with other SQL Server DBAs and Developers. It does replace T-SQL in .NET code with basically a T-SQL code generator. The nice thing is that is created parameterized queries. The downsides are that it discourages use of stored procedures and puts all query code in a compiled application. From a data security perspective I don't like having to grant rights directly to a table and from a tuning perspective I like to be able to tune the queries which I can't do with Linq To SQL.
  3. Greg Larsen New Member

I agree with you regarding the security access requirements for LINQ. I like to encourage developers to only use stored procedures so we only have to give EXECUTE permissions on production tables. Having to give users CRUD permissions opens the door to adhoc updates to our data, outside of applications. What do other DBA's think about having to provide additional right beyond EXECUTE permission, just so developers can use these new features of Visual Studio that provide T-SQL code generators?