SQL Server Performance

Is this Normal (where to start) Slow for Crystal Users

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by tariq745, Jan 21, 2009.

1. tariq745 Member

HiI have SQL Server 2005 enterprise edition running on Xeon CPU (4 processors) with 8GB ram. Antivirus Symantec also running on the same box as SQL Server 2005 (which will be on a separate server next month). We also replicate data from JDE to SQL using 3rd party tool (datamirror) continuously. Everything was running as it supposed to be (fast) but currently we just change the racks (position) of our physical box after that, SQL Server became slow for crystal users. Crystal reports are on separate server and people start complaining reports which were taking 5 sec now take 2 min.I checked the activity monitor it shows bunch of CXpackets wait type. CPU usage is normal 15% and memory usage is 8gb. Where should I start. Here is a snap shot or system monitor. Is this normal for hard drive write to spike that much. http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/tariq745/sql performce/?action=view&current=performance.jpg (click on image to enlarge)
    I am trying to find out if its SQL Server, Server it self, Crystal Report or network issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. satya Moderator

So you are saying after moving the SQL SErver position this problem started, coming to the wait type you mentioned CXpacket is normal behaviour for a parallelized query. In this case I would suggest to look the execution plan for the queries that are executed at that point of time, and if overall performance degrades, the you might run into other bottlenecks: for instance if those parallel queries run on the same disk (or small set of disks) a disk bottleneck is easily reached..
    Or they simply block other threads from doing work.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/bestpractice/performance_tuning_waits_queues.mspx is a good one to read on resolving wait issues.