SQL Server Performance

Is this usage of SQL Server a datawarehouse?

Discussion in 'Analysis Services/Data Warehousing' started by EMoscosoCam, Nov 15, 2007.

1. EMoscosoCam Member

Hello
    I am new with analysis service and datawarehousing, therefore I have this basic question.
    I once saw the following practice and I would like to ask if this is a very simplistic "data warehouse" or in fact is just a "regular" database:
    A company consolidates sales data into a single SQL Server 2000 database. A web reporting software is used to query the data.
    One must have Analysis Service running to in fact say that you have a data warehouse?
    Thanks a lot.
  2. martins New Member

Hi,
    In my experience (and opinion) a datawarehouse is defined by design, and not necessarily by the existence of cubes. By this I mean that if you have a database designed through dimensional modelling you have a datawarehouse.
    Datawarehouses are used for reporting through cubes (and cube reports) and normal reports (querying the database directly). The true value of the warehouse will only realise when you start doing analysis through cubes, but alot of times people don't do that as the first step.
    Hope this answers your question. [:)]
  3. satya Moderator

OLAP is different and normal SQL Server is different.
    As per your explanation I believe this is not a data warehouse, to accomplish this purpose, Analysis Services creates multidimensional cubes from data in the data warehouse fact and dimension tables. Numerical measures are also summarized into preaggregated values during cube construction. Cubes are stored in multidimensional structures that are designed for rapid query response, combining preaggregated information with raw fact data to respond to a wide variety of queries.
    Do you see any of such of database/cubes within the enterprise manager?