SQL Server Performance

It Is the Database's Fault

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 18, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I don't know about you, but it often seems that the database is always blamed no matter what the problem is. I was staying in a hotel last week and wanted to contact a guest that was staying in the same hotel. I could remember the guest's first name; however, I did not know the correct spelling of their surname as I had only just met them. When I asked at the front desk they told me that they could only search by surname and it had to be the correct spelling. When I asked if it could search for surnames that started with a particular letter, they responded that "the database will not let us."
    I am sure we have all come across this issue where the database is being blamed for something. The performance of the network might be slow or maybe an application is not working as it should but somehow it is the database's fault. I think the funniest story I came across was when I was analysing a trace file from an ERP application and someone asked, "So does this mean the Internet will be faster once you have fixed the database." So, what is the funniest thing that you have heard someone blaming a database for?
    - Peter Ward
  2. BrentO New Member

Not quite as funny as your internet example, but I heard an architect saying he had to break an application into two sets of databases because SQL Server couldn't scale. When I dug deeper, it was because he had the OS, page file, data files, log files and TempDB all on the same mirrored pair of drives. It wasn't fast enough (big surprise) and he had to use multiple database servers - because, you know, SQL Server doesn't scale....
  3. camainc New Member

It seems to me like most end-users refer to their applications as "databases," not knowing (or caring about) the difference between a "database" and an "application that makes use of a database." To an end-user, they are one and the same.
  4. elracorey New Member

The average user is probably aware that a database is used to hold lots of information - some may even use the word 'data'. What they probably don't appreciate is the fact that it is some other technology that actually presents the data (excluding SSRS and the like).I have been working on a system that holds marketing information for our european customers. When coming up with a project title we could have gone with names such as 'European Badging' or 'European Intranet'. Instead the company has gone with the name 'European Database'.Now when the going gets a bit sticky - we have a problem with the database!