SQL Server Performance

July 21, 2008

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jul 21, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

A word that I frequently hear when talking to customers is 'consolidation'. When people are talking about consolidation, often they are talking about virtualisation using their virtualisation platform of choice. However, consolidation means to combine multiple source systems into a centralized system. In other words, consolidation is only achieved when the number of systems is reduced and not just the number of physical servers that are being used.
    The big issue I currently see with the approach to focus only on the reduction of physical servers is that although hardware and the associated costs such as rack space and power consumption are reduced, the overall management costs in regards to the number of SQL Server instances to manage is not. Real cost savings are achieved when not only the number of physical servers are reduced but also the number of SQL Server instances. What are your thoughts on the current buzz about consolidation?
    - Peter Ward
  2. pinhigh New Member

I absolutely agree, it is only true consolidation when SQL Server instances are reduced as well. We have been successful in this effort over the last few years, especially with the increased horsepower in commodity boxes with Intel multi-proc processors. Sure downtime for maintenance is a little harder to coordinate, but with the decrease in licensing and the DBA manpower to perform the maintenance, it has been worth it.