SQL Server Performance

July 23, 2008

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jul 23, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

One of the challenges in any team is to ensure that there is effective communication between all team members. The problem is that a team is made up of the sum of the knowledge of all members, but how do you ensure that knowledge is disseminated to all team members? Often there is one person in the team that has specific skills such as the 'Clustering Guy' or the 'Replication Expert'. The problem is that when this person goes on holidays or leaves the organisation the specific skills are lost.
    Documentation is often a process that is faced with a lot of resistance; however, most people enjoy pizza, especially when it is free. I was reading an article about a consulting company that had a unique way of dealing with sharing knowledge between their consultants that spent much of the time in the field. Instead of having a ridged structure for sharing knowledge, each team member was expected to perform a 15-minute session each week on something he or she had learnt throughout the week. In return the company would supply a free lunch to all of the consultants. I thought that this was a unique yet effective way to solve the problem of knowledge sharing. Is your team using any unique strategies such as this one to ensure effective communication?
    - Peter Ward
  2. zzzbla New Member

In the company I work for, we have monthly meetings where one of the consultants gives a 1-1.5 hour session about something technical and then eat pizza and watch a movie. we also use a sharepoint portal where people post their problems and get answers, or post interesting problems and the solutions, technical updates (cool tools, interesting white papers, 2008 news).I'd love to hear about other methods of disseminating knowledge.