SQL Server Performance

KB954606 Security Patch on Clustered environment

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by gopal, Dec 16, 2008.

1. gopal Member

I am not finding the Readme for the above patch. Could someone tell me what steps I need to follow to install hotfixes to the clustered environment? I guess I have to install it only on the active node and it will be automatically copied into the passive node. Please confirm this.
    Also let me know if I need to look out for anything else.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gopal
  2. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hi Gopal,
    Yes, that is basically it. Make sure you don't have any programs open on any of the nodes, to be on the safe side copy the installation media to the local disk. When setup goes wrong, it is ever so often a service or AV software that interfers but if previous setups have been succesful you should be fine.
    After setup, confirm that both nodes have been upgraded by running SELECT @@version on both nodes (so failover once setup is completed).
    /Elisabeth
  3. gopal Member

Thank you both Elisabeth and Satya for the quick reply.
  4. satya Moderator

By default this is what it happens:
    To apply the hotfix package to a clustered SQL XXX installation, you must run the hotfix package on the node that owns the SQL Server resource. Then, the hotfix installer will take the SQL Server resource offline and update the binaries on all nodes of the cluster. Finally, the SQL Server Resource is brought online, and the installer runs any install scripts (.sql) that were shipped as part of the hotfix.