SQL Server Performance

Keeping Up With the Competition

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Feb 12, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

Over the last few weeks I have been doing quite a bit of work with MySQL. I have worked almost predominately with SQL Server since I started as a DBA with little patches of Oracle development to break up the monotony. However, I would consider my Oracle skills only good enough to get myself into trouble and definitely not enough to get myself out of trouble. One of the things I find spending some time working with other DBMS products is the opportunity to take the blinkers off and see how other products solve similar problems.
    One area I have been very impressed with in MySQL is the vast array of Date and Time functions that are available. For example, there is a function that takes a date or datetime value and returns the corresponding value for the last day of the month. Although there are ways in SQL Server to retrieve the last day of the month and we have the ability to write our own scalar function there is elegance in the feature being available out of the box. In most large organizations today it is very rare for there to be a single flavor of DBMS so if there is a feature that you have seen in one of the competitors that you wish was in SQL Server I would love to hear about it.
    - Peter Ward