SQL Server Performance

Kilimanjaro

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 8, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

Although SQL Server 2008 has been barely even released for two months, Microsoft are already starting to talk about future releases of the product. The Business Intelligence conference kicked off in Seattle on Oct. 6, which was coincidentally 2 months to the day since the accouchement of the RTM of SQL Server 2008. Ted Kummert, who is the corporate vice president of Microsoft's Data and Platform Storage Division, used the BI conference to announce a number of new codenames including "Gemini," "Madison" and "Kilimanjaro." All of these new projects appear to be focused around the Business Intelligence platform and being able to deliver solutions to the end-users.
    Although many of the announcements are of no surprise considering the number of recent acquisitions Microsoft has made in the BI space, the one announcement that I found interesting was around "Kilimanjaro." From the press release Kilimanjaro was described as the next release of Microsoft SQL Server focused on BI. Historically, SQL Server has been largely focused on OLTP, and BI was almost an afterthought that was bundled in with the DBMS. Does this mean that in the future there might be two SQL Server flavours, an OLAP version and an OLTP version?
    - Peter Ward
  2. Greg Larsen New Member

Isn't Kilimanjaro a "Big", "Cold" thing in Tanzania? Wonder if the next version of SQL Server is going to be a "Big" thing, or and "Cold" thing or maybe both? I'm not sure I really want a "Big, Cold" thing. I'm hoping for a "Big, Warm" thing.What are your thoughts?
  3. pward New Member

I was thinking more along the lines that Kilimanjaro is a volcano just waiting to explode
  4. Greg Larsen New Member

Hopefully it is an explosion of good things. I'd hate to get burned by the lava of Kilimanjaro.