SQL Server Performance

Leveraging SQL Tables/DB in RAM instead of HDD

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Rich, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Rich New Member

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how I can make use of the RAM I have in my SQL Server, by this i mean that i want to promote either some tables or the whole DB into RAM to make it work faster. So if we assume that I have 32GB of RAM and my DB is only 16GB or less, how could i go about doing this?

Many thanks,

Rich.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Previous versions of SQL Server had such an option that you could pin a table to memory, but it caused so many unwanted side-effects that it was removed. Current versions of SQL Server manage the memory entirely by themselves and usually they do a very good job on that.

Are you facing some real issues or is this just a question "out of curiosity"?
  3. Rich New Member

Hi Frank,

Yes i have heard of people putting tables into Memory before, but i not know that there were side effects.

This is one thread of a real issue, but also trying to make the Database perform faster. I am dealing with realtime data and have some features leveraging some complicated stored procedures which would benefit from tables or DB being offloaded into memory. Also some data has a target of being moved into the correct tables within 100ms to be able to serve some data as part of a feature. The SQL Edition im using is SQL Server 2008 R2 STD.

I had someone hint to me last week that SQL manages the memory management itself and could put my whole DB in memory if it was small enough, and of course if SQL decided that it was a good idea to do this. They did not mention if there were any settings to configure SQL to do this.

At the moment this is all i know, but i need to persue this interesting suggestion.

What is your take on this?

Thanks,

Rich.