SQL Server Performance

Linked servers issues

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by snswamy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. snswamy New Member

While configuring linked server on one of the server I'm experiencing below issue. Please advise !!!

The Linked server has been created but failed a connection test.Do you want to keep the linked server?
    Additional information:
    An exception occurred while executing a T-sql statement or batch
    Named pipes providers : couldnot open a connection to SQL Server
    OLEDB provider network related or instance specific errors while establishing a connection to sqlserver
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

First welcome to Forums

Such issues of linked server might be correlated to any of the reasons below :

· Network issue at your local machine either NIC or Physical caning

· Network issue for the communication channel between local machine and Destination

· SQL browser is not working on local machine that it can't work identify purposely the TCP port and IP of DB Destination server (Mostly probable )

And to compromise these assumptions , kindly do the following by the same order :

· kindly assure SQL browser is running at DB destination server

· create an alias on your local machine using Cliconfg.exe >>>alias >>>TCP/IP >> specify DB destination server name and alias names (may be the same) and static TCP port ( 1433 Default)

· If it sill persist , then it is mostly likely a network issue , thereby you have to keep more insight on the following monitors

i. Asynchronous Network IO wait on activity monitor o source DB Server

ii. SQL Server alert of "Network IO waits >1 sec" ( You have to configure it by appropriate pooling interval like 5 minutes )

iii. Network IO throughput from performance counter

Kindly work out them and let me know your feedback