SQL Server Performance

LINQ to SQL

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 2, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

The other night over a few glasses of red wine, I had an interesting discussion with a .Net MVP about LINQ to SQL. As a developer his attitude was that although LINQ to SQL does not always produce optimal TSQL code, that it doesn't matter as it provides such a significant productivity saving. His argument was that if it was a line of business application used internally by an organisation then it does not matter if the query is less than optimal. If the query was not fast enough, his attitude was simply to add some more RAM to the server.
    Now in principal this all sounds like a logical argument except that reality is not always like this. Although an application may only be designed for 10 people, in 6 months time an acquisition may happen that means the application now needs to cater for 100 people. The problem now is around scalability. If the application is not designed to scale in the first place then it will have no chance with the increased load. Although this issue can be temporarily postponed by increasing hardware by scaling up, there is only so far you can scale a server. Now I am not saying LINQ to SQL is bad or that developers can't write optimal TSQL code. What I am saying is that like any development task performance needs to be taken into consideration from the outset. Have you started managing code developed with LINQ to SQL and what has your experience been?
    - Peter Ward