SQL Server Performance

load balancing in sql server database ???????????????????????????

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by calvinwings, Aug 9, 2007.

1. calvinwings New Member

Hi can any one explain how can we do load balancing for database ????????????
  2. MohammedU New Member

Is your question is for sql 2005? or 2008?
    You can use peer to peer replication for load balancing in sql 2005 and I don't know if there is any other improvement in sql 2008....
    and also check Federated database servers in BOL...
  3. ndinakar Member

Hey M
    How can you use replication for load balancing? The application can query server A or server B and the query is executed on either server. It is not load balanced.
  4. satya Moderator

I think its better to answer Mohammed's questions to see what is relates to the version.
    SQL Server still doesn't support load balancing out of the box --but it does offer some exciting improvements and supports all the load-balancing methods available in previous SQL Server versions. Not I have seen any such documention with SQL 2008 too.
    For such load balancing still you can take help database/table partitioning across the servers too in addition to replication topology, so some extent Mohammed's reference is right.
  5. rajorator New Member

Hi, I am working on an application. Its a SQL Server Middle Tier, that will allow Load Balancing for SQL Server. I plan to give it away for at least the first 2 load balanced servers or something. Have come quite far with, want to see if there is a real interest for something like this in the community. I have a blog for it, although sporadic [:)], I have updates there...
    Anyhooo, here they are http://sqlserverloadblancing.blogspot.com/ (old one), http://sqlserverloadbalancing.blogspot.com/ (new one). Let me know if people are still interested, so I can get some motivation and speed things up a bit.
    Thanks,
    Raj.
  6. jasonL New Member

7. satya Moderator

Raj
    Thats interesting, but I don't seem to find relevant information on your blog - can you direct that here.
  8. rajorator New Member

Hi Satya, Sorry it took this long... I was preparing the website to host the download and other relevant information. I am still updating the documents in the "concept" section for better understanding. But anyway, here it is [:)] http://www.poorstudent.org. The application (rather 1 dll and a readme file zipped up) is in there as well as how to install it and setup the middle tier and stuff.
    Please let me know if this explains what I was talking about?
    Thanks,
    Raj

9. satya Moderator

Thats better now, I would also suggest to get in touch with Webmaster of this site in order to review your tool that will have added advantage.
  10. rajorator New Member

Thanks, Yep... Thats the next step, I am trying to find someone to do this for me.
    Does the concept for "Distributed SQL Server Load Balancing" make sense though?
  11. ShamanSC New Member

I am very interested in this and I am ready to implement now. Let me know how I may assist you
  12. rajorator New Member

Awesome thanks [:)]... Send me an email at raj@poorstudent.org. Although all instructions can be found at poorstudent.org; I would rather, we walk through it together and I can explain the things that I forgot to add/ doesn't make sense.
    High level: just need a website that makes multiple calls to databases. The goal is to intercept the calls, and use "SQL Server Distributed Load Balancing", to distribute the calls to multiple database servers. The servers maybe be virtual or physical, geographically separated or not. Basically whatever is available, as long as they are separated by their WINS/DNS entries.
    Thanks, Raj
  13. nandan.pandey New Member

Hi Guys,
    As per my understanding only through Peer to Peer replication you can do the load balancing in SQL server 2005 and 2008, but here you need to use Windows load balancing tool (I am not sure but you need to use NLB with your web server) and it’s up to NLB algorithms which server it will redirect your query. Here I want to mention one more complexity about peer to peer replication, if it’s break anytime it’s very tough to resume replication. Most of the time you need to restore database backup from one node to another node and need to configure complete Peer to Peer Replication once again. There is no doubt you lose some data.
    Regards,

Nandan Pandey
  14. raj9297 New Member

Hi Guys,
    I joined newly to this forum & thought to share my view of DB load balancing
    Is it possible to have all write operation on a DB & Load balance read operations from a farm of replicated DB servers? Just a thought. It may be possible that many of them might also be using this architecture.
  15. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
    This thread is old. Could you start a new one please?