SQL Server Performance

log files

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by klehonia, Jan 28, 2010.

1. klehonia New Member

Hi, i was thinking if i could have two log files with the same data. I mean if transactions could be written in two destinations so as to use them in different ways, like one for backup log and one for log shipping.
    thank you in advance.
  2. preethi Member

Sorry It is not possible,
    You can have Transaction log in two (mirrored) disks but they will be visible as one drive as far as operating system is concerned.
    In your case, you can setup log shipping and backup logs ARE transferred to the other location. What is the purpose of having two log files, as once a file is created it will be shipped to the log shipping location(s)
    As far as SQL Server is concerned it will write only to ONE file at any time, even if you have multiple log files to the database.
  3. klehonia New Member

Log shipping means that i can not have backup files nowhere else but only in secondary server as i can not have full backup or log backup (because with full backup a log backup also occurs and truncate it), and the database in the secondary server is in read only status. So i can have only a stand by database as a disaster recovery situation in the secondary server with the last log backups. We have a tivoli tsm system backup and i want to use it too. Any ideas please?
  4. preethi Member

[quote user="klehonia"] Log shipping means that i can not have backup files nowhere else but only in secondary server[/quote] You can have the backup files anywhere you like. In fact, you can have multiple copies the backup files.
    [quote user="klehonia"]i can not have full backup or log backup (because with full backup a log backup also occurs and truncate it)[/quote] As far as I know, you can work with the database as the it was before you setup log shipping. However, I have seen issues with 3rd arty tools. But if you can take copy only backup, you can work with it. In worst case, you can take a backup from the secondary database too.
    [quote user="klehonia"]So i can have only a stand by database as a disaster recovery situation in the secondary server with the last log backups. [/quote] When disaster strikes you can stop the log shipping and make it read-write database. (I hope you do not refer the standby status in database recovery process.)
  5. preethi Member

In addition, Tivoli system backup is not Sql Server based backup and will not work as SQL Server backup. But after taking the log backup, you can take a file backup using Tivoli.