SQL Server Performance

Log shipping and reporting server.

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by Wandy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Wandy New Member

Hi all,
    I would like to set up a copy of one of the production servers we have for reporting purposes (to take load of the production db) and was wondering if that would be possible with log shipping if I use transactional log shipping in combination with the online restore feature in the enterprise version of sql server 2005? The reason for this combo is that there must not be a longer differens between the production db and the copy of more then 15 min and the copy should be available all the time (even when the restore of the logs is done).
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to sql server.
    Thanks in advance :)
    Best Regards,
    Wandy
  2. PraveenVoleti New Member

Hi Wandy,
    If you want the database to be always available, then I suggest you to use transactional replication than log shipping. You cannot use the database when the transaction log restore is running on the secondary server in log shipping.(though configured with online restore- also i dont think this combination is possible)
    Regards,
    Praveen
  3. Wandy New Member

Hi Praveen,
    Thanks for you´re answer :) I thought about replication to but was hoping for this solution to work since this will be much less work to keep in sync if the structure of the orginal db keeps changing, I would get a warm stand by server as a bonus and also the new db could be used as a source for a bi-solution we are thinking about :)
    But as for my hopes you don´t think this combo is possible to achive?
    Regards,
    Nicklas
  4. satya Moderator

Either way you have to spend money on keeping up the licenses, in this case eithr with Database mirroring by keeping mirror server for reporting or hefty price for snapshot backup feature in SQl 2005.