SQL Server Performance

Log Shipping Backup error on secondary database

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by madduri, Mar 20, 2009.

1. madduri New Member

Hi,
    I have configured logshipping for a database. The primary server is in PST and secondary is in EST time zone. I see some false errors thrown from monitor server which is my secondary server.
    The log shipping primary database EST_Server.pubs has backup threshold of 1440 minutes and has not performed a backup log operation for 2220 minutes. Check agent log and logshipping monitor information.
    EST server is a secondary server but the error mentions it as primary and it is not supposed to perform any backup log operations. It is only supposed to restore the logs. Please let me know a way to get rid of these errors.
    Regards, Madduri
  2. techbabu303 New Member

- Check the jobs on primary server w.rt to log shipping and run the job manually first.
    - Once the job succeeds on primary server , try the restore job on secondary
  3. satya Moderator

Have you checked the results of : sp_help_log_shipping_monitor statement?
    You may be aware, As part of log shipping, alert messages 14220 and 14221 are generated to track backup and restoration activity. The alert messages are generated depending on the value of Backup Alert threshold and Out of Sync Alert threshold respectively.
    Due to the obvious resons that you have stated about the time differences in the primary & secondary locations, this is generated due to date or time (or both) on the monitor server is different from the date or time on the primary server. It is also possible that the system date or time was modified on the monitor or the primary server. This may also generate alert messages.
    so you have to check the date& time on all the servers which are involved in the Log Shipping, also to make sure whether logs are restored check the secondary server error log for such messages.
  4. madduri New Member

Thank you for your replies.
    My concern was the error message mentions the secondary server as the primary server. I checked the log_shipping_monitor_primary table on the primary server and i found both the primary and secondary servers listed. i deleted the record for secondary server and the errors disappeard.
    I have configured logshipping earlier with EST server as Primary and PST as Secondary and deleted the log_shipping. When i deleted I guess the entry for primary server EST in the table log_shipping_monitor_primary must have not been deleted and hence it was alerting that the primary server was not backed up. The issue is fixed after i deleted the record for EST.