SQL Server Performance

Log shipping for reporting

Discussion in 'SQL Server Log Shipping' started by Reddy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Reddy New Member

Hi
    I have planned to go for log shipping to update my database with the production database. I thought of doing like..

1)Full backup of production DB once and get the backup file to my server so that I Can restore it intially.
    2)Trans Backup every 8 hrs and the get the trans backup file to restore on my server.

I have to do everything only from my server, not given access to the production except that I may get bckup files when need. All this is just only for 1 DB to update the data for reporting.
    I have to automate these jobs(pick up files from production and restore on my server) from my server.
    DO i need to have linked server for this?

Pls let me know how far this is possible and any thing else i have to do to accomplish.

Thanks!
    "He laughs best who laughs last"

2. satya Moderator

One suggestion is why not run transaction log backup every hour or atleast once in 2 hours to keep up the log sizes that will turn down waiting time on standby server to complete the restore.

Refer to your other post that I have pasted a link about LS by Brad.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
  3. Reddy New Member

one thing i came to know is the locations where i need to get backups are remote from us and we dont have any type networks as of now, can we do this only through VPN, how can i accomplish this job through an FTP site.

Thanks!
    "He laughs best who laughs last"