SQL Server Performance

Log Shipping from SQL 7.0 to SQL 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by chewbacabra, Jan 16, 2008.

1. chewbacabra New Member

Who would have thought I would need this one? Our accounting application is on SQL 7.0. We cannot upgrade it because the application does not work with SQL 2000 or 2005 even with 7.0 emulation. We need to keep a copy of our accounting database at another site because when our connection (T1) dies, it causes our production to halt.

I have tried to do a manual case of log shipping where I created a database on the SQL 7.0 and SQL 2005 databases. The SQL 2005 database is in read-only mode. I created a few tables and added a few rows on the SQL 7.0 database. I then did a backup on the SQL 7 and did a restore on the 2005. That worked fine. I then went back to the 7.0 database and added a record into one of the rows. I then did a log backup and copied the log backup to the 2005 server and attempted to do a restore using all of the different recovery states. I got errors every time.
    When using restore with recovery, I get the following message:
    The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
    When using restore with no recovery, I get the following message:
    The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
    When using restore with standby, I get the following message:
    This backup cannot be restored using WITH STANDBY because a database upgrade is needed. Reissue the RESTORE without WITH STANDBY.

Can anyone tell me that SQL 7.0 -> SQL 2005 log shipping is possible?
    If it doesn't work then I will put a SQL 2000 server at the same location as the accounting database and do log-shipping from SQL 7->SQL 2000. Then I will setup log shipping from SQL 2000->SQL2005. Can anyone shoot holes in that idea?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. MohammedU New Member

Make sure you use NORECOVERY option when you restore full and log backups....
    Make sure your diff and log backups have a single file means you use WITH INIT option for backups...
    And check your existing log and diff backups have multiple backups in that case use file number to restore.