SQL Server Performance

Log shipping

Discussion in 'SQL Server Log Shipping' started by louslack, Mar 28, 2006.

1. louslack New Member

I am attempting to setup log shipping. I have 2 servers and am using the source for the monitor. I setup the maintenance plan and let it run and everything works as advertised with a 30 min load/copy interval. But sooner or later it gets out of wack. It always reverts to loading first, therefore kicking my timing off by the 30 mins (meaning my load). I have tried adjusting the times on the servers but nothing I do makes any difference. An example:

Copy 7:00.16 am succeeded databasename20060328060700.trn
    Load 7:00.03 am succeeded databasename20060328060630.trn

I have tried this 15 times and cannot resolve. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. satya Moderator

Monitor whether the Transaction log is restore properly on secondary server, if not check the filecopy duration between the servers. Make sure SQLagent has required privileges to perform the operation.

Satya SKJ
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. louslack New Member

So I changed the time on the restore job on the destination server and now the job works fine. Copys then Loads. So my schedule is copy at 2:00 and load at 2:03. Sesms to be working fine and I even shut the server down durring the log ship period and it recovered to do the next log ship. Anyone see any problems with staggering it like this?
  4. satya Moderator

It is better to do that as the time difference will take care of any contention in the log shipping, may check any issues on network while copying the file and disk configuration load too.

Satya SKJ
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.