SQL Server Performance

Logs are not being restored on the secoundary server

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by kohli.priyanka, May 6, 2008.

1. kohli.priyanka New Member

Hello Friends,
    I have implemented the Log shipping in SQL Server 2005, before it was running fine.
    But now it is not restoring the logs on the secoundary server, get the error
    "Executed as user: ServerNameSYSTEM. Unable to open Step output file. The step failed".
    logs are being copied on the secoundary server.
    I did not receive any another error, could you tell me where should I look to find error, or what can be the problem.
    Regards,
  2. satya Moderator

Does the Sql Server and agent service account of the secondary server has necessary permmissions on the folder containing the copied transaction logs ?
    Also check the log shipping monitor and see which was the last t-log that was restored and try to restore all the subsequent logs manually in sequence using the option 'WITH STANDBY' and then once again start the jobs in primary and secondary servers and see if its getting restored properly.

3. kohli.priyanka New Member

Hello Satya,
    I checked the user System has sys admin right and folder where log shipping is stored is shared.Do I check something sepecific if yes what and where?
    Just now I checked the table "log_shipping_monitor_history_detail", I receive the error
    Skipped log backup file. Secondary DB: 'RightFax', File: 'D:Microsoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLLogshippingRight_20070215234500.trn'.
    What I saw is last from 2007.
    But some weeks back I restore a new backup from the Primary Server and restored on the secoundary server(No Recovery Mode) and then try to implements the log but it give me the error.
    Regards,
    Priyanka
    Regards,
  4. satya Moderator

Are you using any third party tools for backup of these databases?
    What is the error you are getting when trying to restore the trasnaction log after the full backup restore from primary to secondary server?
  5. kohli.priyanka New Member

No We are not using any third party tool, it is the linked server which is being created when I implement the Log Shipping.
    when I try to restore it gives me the error you need to apply
    ------------------------------
    Restore failed for Server 'servernameRIGHT'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The log in this backup set begins at LSN 37634000000916300001, which is too recent to apply to the database. An earlier log backup that includes LSN 37621000000113200001 can be restored. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
    ---
    How I can find LSN number for the logs, what is the best way to do it, If I restore the backup from yday and then can I refresh the logshipping and implement the logs after the last full backup.
    And I kept the database in the "No Recovery" Mode, is that ok?
    Regards,
    Priyanka
    Regards,

6. satya Moderator

Why linked server and where you are trying to restore these logs?
    have you applied the latest database backup and then subsequent log backups?