SQL Server Performance

LogShipping Failed

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Ksr39, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ksr39 Member

Hi Experts,

In one of my prod server I have configured logshipping for two databases in a single server (SQL Server 2005 Standard edition 32bit on Windows 2003 server) but there was a problem with one of them, one database is getting logged up by logshipping to the secondary server and getting restored but the second database is getting failed in restoring the logs, I couldn’t find any error as it simply says the restore job couldn’t be done. I have configured two diff shared folders for both the database and gave same permissions for both of them. When one database logs can get restored why can’t the other.
    Please let me know where I went wrong.
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

I do forecast , it is a matter of sequences of LSN backup as it sounds like some transaction log backup sets are missed that broke down the consecutive transaction log backups , thus you are not able to restore transaction log backup to the other DB,

therefore you should have to fetch a Full backup and transaction log backup from the 1st DB and restore it to the 2nd DB to be able to return back log shipping again..

Kindly let me know if any further help is needed
  3. Ksr39 Member

Hi Shehap,
    Thank you for the reply, I have configured the logshipping from the first (restoring a full backup with no recovery/standby and configured the backup for log's and copying them to the destination and configured the restore job), even then the log's were not getting restored from the coppied folder.
  4. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

I do think that you have to check the ACL (Access control list) permission of this directory and assure SQL Server service account is one of its members…And in case of it is a shared directory ,you have to check the shared list

Kindly work out it and let me know about your feedback
  5. Hrishi_nk New Member

Hi Ksr39
    What is your interval to delete the log files on primary?.The default is delete files which are older than 72 hrs.
    I had a similar problem where the restoration of log files on secondary was taking a long time to restore and the immediate files generated were deleted , disrupting the LSN sequence of the log files which are to be restored on secondary.
  6. Ksr39 Member

Hi Hrishi,
    Thank you for the reply we are going with the default retention only there is no change in it.
    Shehap,
    Sorry for the late reply, I will do the changes which you have mentioned as we disabled Logshipping for the database for time being as we are busy in major work, as soon as I get time I do these and let you know.