SQL Server Performance

Looking for Hard Drive Performance Figures

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by dj-wells, Jan 31, 2003.

1. dj-wells New Member

I am working with a client who is in the process of choosing a hard drive RAID configuration for a new SQL Server. Specifically, we are discussing issues such as SCSI hard drive RPM speed (10K or 15K), as well as how to break up the arrays. I am aware that breaking up the O/S, SQL Data files, and SQL Log files onto separate arrays (or some combination thereof) can significantly inmprove performance. However, we are having difficulty turning the range of options into concrete price/performance figures.

The database in question will be small (maybe 2-3GB over the next year). It is the back-end for a data-entry application. The hardest-hitting queries will likely be searches and reports.

In general, does anyone have advice on how much of a performance increase can be expected from using multiple RAID arrays to hold the O/S, Data Files, and Log Files?

In addition, I would love to find a whitepaper or report on concrete performance figures for different SQL Server configurations. Something along the lines of: we tested these 3 hard drive configurations with this type of hardware and database, and ran these types of queries, and here were the execution times in seconds.

Thanks,
    Dan
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

Finding stats like you want are hard to come by. The main reason for this is because of Microsoft's SQL Server license. It says that you need to get Microsoft's permission to publish the results of your SQL Server testing. Because of this, you won't find much.

But generally speaking, you won't find a huge amount of performance difference when you separate the OS, data, and log files onto separate drives or arrays. There is some, and it would be noticable with very busy systems with lots of users. On smaller, less used systems, you won't notice much difference.

If I were you, and I am assuming that this is not an extremely busy system, is I would go for a RAID 10 solution and put all my files on it. This will give you good overall speed and fault tolerance, and make the purchase and setup of your system easier. RAID 10 offers better performance than RAID 5, which helps to negate the need to isolate data over a series of drives or arrays.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com