SQL Server Performance

Low memory on OS stopping SQL Server service?

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Trev256b, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Trev256b Member

Has anyone ever seen a SQL Server service suddenly stop when OS runs out of memory? SQL Server had memory left over to use within the SQL Server maximum memory setting. It looks like there wasn't enough memory for the OS as this maxed out. It probably then started paging but the page files was smaller than total RAM. I expected the server to just get slower but the SQL Server service suddenly stopped!!! Anyone know why the service may stop? I have read this could lead to system instability but can't find an example of why the service may stop.... any ideas???
  2. davidfarr Member

Do any of the event logs offer a clue ? Windows Event Viewer and/or SQL Server Log. SQL Server will attempt to log a reason if the stop event was not too sudden or catastrophic.
  3. Trev256b Member

What happens if a machine tries to page and the paging file is smaller than the physical RAM? I will be increasing this soon - but would like to know what happens and if this could cause the crash.
  4. Siddharth Verma New Member

Is the SQL 32 bit or 64bit.
    If it is 32 bit, have you enabled AWE and made change in registry setting Lock Pages in Memory Setting.
  5. Siddharth Verma New Member

To enable the lock pages in memory option

1. On the Start menu, click Run. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc.

2. On the Local Group Policy Editor console, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Windows Settings.

3. Expand Security Settings, and then expand Local Policies.

4. Select the User Rights Assignment folder.
      The policies will be displayed in the details pane.

5. In the pane, double-click Lock pages in memory.

6. In the Local Security Setting – Lock pages in memory dialog box, click Add User or Group.

7. In the Select Users, Service Accounts, or Groups dialog box, add an account with privileges to run sqlservr.exe.

8. Log out and then log back in for this change to take effect.
  6. Trev256b Member

There is nothing in error log. Only record of low memory which should not impact services running. Also it is 64 bit so that is not an option. And lock pages on memory is not set as this is a VM. The low memoey error suggesra it looked for more disk to pafe to bur couldn't. Bit there is no message of ballooning.
  7. Trev256b Member

Anyone else got any ideas? I can't see how low memory would force the server to restart.