SQL Server Performance

maintaining format

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by v1rtu0s1ty, Nov 10, 2004.

1. v1rtu0s1ty New Member

Hey guys,

I have a scenario. I got 2 files being sent to me from different vendors. They're both text file. Let's call them target file and source file. Both of them contains loan numbers. The source file will have more rows. So, I am planning to do a BULK INSERT to insert the rows of each file to 2 separate tables so I can do an "select loannum from target where loannum(select loannum from source)". Once a loannum is found in the source, I should grab a field in the source table and overwrite the same field in the target table. This part is easy.

What I want to happen is minimize the risk of screwing up the target text file. What they want me to do is once I found a loannum in source table, modify the existing target text file. This way, we minimize the risk of recreating a new target text file. Also, the target text file has a file layout that I should maintain such as loannum is 1-10 characters then a pipe delimeter than followed by 20 spaces, and so on. So if you open up the file using notepad, columns are straight even upto the end of the row.

I forgot to mention, the target file I will be modifying will be an input source for a DTS package.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

V1rt