SQL Server Performance

Market Crisis

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 30, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

At the moment the world has been plunged into what a lot of financial analysts are calling the "global share market bloodbath." Overnight the Dow Jones lost 778 points, which is its largest point decline in history. Many people are directly affected by the decline in global share markets. The impact is far reaching, from loans being foreclosed to people losing significant amounts of their retirement funds.
    I was listening to the podcast this WEEK in TECH on the drive home from a client site tonight and although the podcast was several day's old it provided an interesting analysis of what the economic downturn means for the technology industry. Although investment in the technology sector will be reduced as people do not have as much capital to spend, it also heralds opportunities for many other companies. Many companies that are founded in times of economic downturn manage to survive and prosper. Harsh economic climates force companies to be frugal with their spending. An example of this is Amazon.com, which despite the dot-com bubble burst was able to survive and prosper and actually delivered a profit in 2001. I think one of the important lessons is to look at what is being spent and determine whether this spending is helping to add a return to the business.
    - Peter Ward
  2. unclebiguns New Member

As you mention Amazon survived the dot com bubble with smart management while others failed. This is why I am against public bailouts of private companies. They each need to stand or fail on their own merits. In the US, most individuals are protected by federal insurance up to $100,000 and if you don't have your money in an insured account you know it is at risk. So don't save poorly managed companies.