SQL Server Performance

May be forced into using MYSQL - Need Info To Argue Against It

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by DBADave, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DBADave New Member

We are a Microsoft SQL Server shop when it comes to our database systems, but now word has reached the DBA area that one of our top executives is interested in a product that uses MYSQL. I know nothing about MYSQL outside of it being open source and would like to know the risks of using it. Hopefully I can find enough information to indicate it should not be considered for our company. In the meantime I'm going to search Google.I appreciate your insight.
    Thanks, Dave
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Well, some arguments that come to mind are:
    - There is no MySQL knowledge right now available in your shop. At least on that level which it is on SQL Server. So, you have to build up knowledge and get training to provide an adequate support for that solution. => This is going to cost a lot of money, if done right.
    - You have to maintain another database platform. That adds complexity to your environment, your disaster recovery procedures, etc. MySQL runs best on Linux. So, if you don't have already some *nix machines, there might be a need for some. => Additional cost for hardware and basic training in a different OS.
    - If the application using MySQL is also OpenSource you'll be left without any vendor support in case something doesn't work as expected.
    There is nothing wrong with MySQL per se, but many times such decisions are highly political and you'll find that you can not do much about it.
  3. satya Moderator

I feel like it is flexibility when it comes to learning, if the company is forcing to use multi-RDBMS systems then better to start analyzing the pros & cons in using new system and current syste, on other hand start using by downloading it on your test server.
    I can say in this competetive world it is better to keep up with the force!
  4. DBADave New Member

Thanks Frank and Satya.
    From what I've be hearing from people MYSQL is actually a stable product and has a fairly large market share in the RDBMS world. I did not know that. My first thought was this is open source so how good can it be, but my lack of experience with open source may have caused me to rush to judgment. I need the application vendor to provide us with some technical information, because all I've been told is the application uses MYSQL and there is nothing for our DBAs to maintain. My questions for them are, what about backups, maintenance routines, DR, ... all of the basic questions. I appreciate your input as always
    Dave
  5. satya Moderator

This is a good start for your learning the new RDBMS system.In this case lots of resources available on web and I'm sure Frank will addup few:http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-60-backup.htmlhttp://svn.mysql.com/svnpublic/mysqldochttp://forums.mysql.com/http://www.planetmysql.org/
  6. DBADave New Member

Thanks Satya. Have a great weekend.
  7. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="DBADave"]
    Thanks Satya. Have a great weekend.
    [/quote]
    Hm, quite early it must be in the place you live, isn't it? [:)]
  8. FrankKalis Moderator

I have worked quite extensively with MySQL 3.x couple of years ago. Now I use MySQL 5.something for my site and I am really impressed about its evolution. It is not only stable and fast, but also offers some very interesting features. As with every product it has its own strengths and weaknesses, and once you know about them you can live and/or workaround them.
    My point was that every additional platform introduces a bunch of complexity to manage the environment as a whole and at the end of the day it might be cheaper to spend now more money for a system running on the SQL Server platform (as you are a SQL Server shop) than to go for the cheaper solution, but spend additional money on hardware, training, blablabla.
    But I always find that when it comes to decisions on database systems this is getting highly "political" as all of a sudden people who have not been involved before (and probably never have seen a database system, nor know how these work) raise their voices and take party for this or that system. Suddenly you hear terms like "strategic platform", "corporate standards", "enterprise-class", "mission-critical", etc...
    Most of the times you'll find that the people using these terms are above you in your company's food chain, so what do you do? Argue? Risk an emotional discussion with them? Or just let them have their way and try to make the best of the situation?
    I have no idea what the right choice is, but I would definitely make sure that everything is well documented in this whole decision-finding process so that no once can blame you for anything afterwards.
  9. DBADave New Member

[quote user="FrankKalis"]
    But I always find that when it comes to decisions on database systems this is getting highly "political" as all of a sudden people who have not been involved before (and probably never have seen a database system, nor know how these work) raise their voices and take party for this or that system. Suddenly you hear terms like "strategic platform", "corporate standards", "enterprise-class", "mission-critical", etc...
    Most of the times you'll find that the people using these terms are above you in your company's food chain, so what do you do?
    [/quote]
    Hey Frank I didn't know we worked at the same company. [:D] In this particular case someone who is responsible for making millions of dollars for the company saw some software he fell in love with. I have a feeling I'm not going to win this one.
    In regards to my "weekend" comment that's what you call wishful thinking after a very long week. Oh well. Time to sign off for the night. Need to be up in 5 hours for another exciting day of analyzing bad code.
    Dave
  10. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="DBADave"]
    In regards to my "weekend" comment that's what you call wishful thinking after a very long week. Oh well. Time to sign off for the night. Need to be up in 5 hours for another exciting day of analyzing bad code.
    [/quote]
    Enjoy!
    Cheers.
  11. satya Moderator

Dave
    Thanks and you too, hopefully you guys are gearing up for voting in elections soon... [:)]
  12. DBADave New Member

Elections. Now there is a depressing thought. The process of trying to determine who is telling the truth and who is making unrealistic promisses.
  13. moh_hassan20 New Member

let us start making some comparative study apple to apple comparison
    review : http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/compare/mysql/default.mspx , microsoft link [;)]
  14. DBADave New Member

Thanks for the link