SQL Server Performance

MD3000 support for more than 1 enclosure

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by gadams, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gadams New Member

Hello,
    Has anyone found issues with having more than one MD3000 configured to a server? Dell is telling me now that the configuration I purchased is not supported. I had 2 MD3000 and 2 MD1000 is sets and had trouble with one MD3000. I think it is has nothing to do with the config and I got a lemon, but they insisted the config was not supported and that I change things around. Now I had a single MD3000 with both MD1000's hanging off of it.
    Of course, the other MD3000 is on a test server and still gets controller errors, so I'm positive it was a dud.
    Anyone know that more than one works?
    The performance seems okay. I would also wonder if it would be wiser to just get some perc cards, repurpose the MD3000 and buy some more MD1000 and get past the limitations built into the MD3000.
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Not sure what they mean by 'not supported', is it something they can't fix or is it a unsupported configruation?
  3. gadams New Member

What was not supported (supposedly) was having two MD3000 hooked up to one host.
    The problem came about with Dell support because one unit is bad and they insisted it was because I had two MD3000 hooked up to the SQL server. Now that unit is on a seperate host and getting errors, so I don't know if they are correct. Perhaps it WOULD have worked, but they are still insisting that anything with more than one MD3000 connected is not supported.
  4. waqar Member

Hi gadams,
    1- If you have connected your both MD3000 to different servers and still MD3000 is giving error then you should call support to assist you to solve it.
    2- Have you checked what openManager is showing error message?
    3- If i am not wrong you can have multiple MD3000 in daisy chain configuration. You can refer to this link for more information [http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_md3000?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=highlighttab&~wsf=tabs].
    PowerVault MD3000 Direct-Attached Storage Array
    Builtfor high-performance 2-node clusters or direct attachment up to fourPowerEdge servers, the PowerVault MD3000 is a modular disk storagearray capable of housing up to fifteen 3.5-inch SAS or SATA disk drivesin a single 3U rack enclosure. The PowerVault MD3000 is expandable bysimply adding up to two additional expansion enclosures for a total of45 drives and 45TB capacity. The entire array subsystem is managed froma single software application-known as the Modular Disk StorageManager-which streamlines the management and maintenance of storage asit scales. With the PowerVault MD3000, storage can be quickly andeasily added as needed without disruption to operations.
    4- If you have purchased support contract you have right to call them and ask them to fix your problem, so ask them questions if your MD3000 is giving error messages.
    Let me know if you need more help.
    FYI, i am using 3xMD1000 on one of my server but not MD3000.