SQL Server Performance

MDX query Internal error:

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services' started by pgraves, Oct 16, 2007.

1. pgraves New Member

Hi All,

I getting the following error when trying to parse or execute an MDX query:

Parsing the query ...
    Internal error: An unexpected error occurred (file 'mdsubcube.cpp', line 5257, function 'MDSubcube::IsPartiallyCoveringCell').
    Parsing complete

The error occurs with other MDX queries that reference the same dimension/measures.

Has anyone seen this error before and have some clue as to what it means?

Thanks,
    Paul
  2. satya Moderator

3. pgraves New Member

satya,
    Thanks I'll try this and see how we get on.
    Paul
  4. ranjitjain New Member

Can you post your query if it's not very long. Also which service pack is installed for MSAS
  5. pgraves New Member

ranjitjain,
    We get the same error with a number of different queries.
    We have the latest service pack 2 installed.
    According to Microsoft, this error should have been resolved in SP1.
    I am going to open a support case with them.
    Paul
  6. furmangg New Member

Paul-
    Are there any many-to-many dimension relationships involved in that query? If so, I ran into this error today, too.
    When you clear the cache and run a trace and run your query, does Profiler show it's hitting an agg? If so, what's in that agg? If you run a ProcessData on that partition (or the entire measure group), it will essentially unprocess that agg. If you run the query again, does it succeed without the error?
    If all of the above matches your error, then the following bug I reported might help:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=303448
    PSS is currently researching that. The workaround/fix is to delete the dimension relationships for the measure groups involved and then readd them and then rebuild your aggs. Or just delete that one agg that's causing the problem :)
    Please keep us posted on your progress with opening a case with Microsoft on this issue.
  7. furmangg New Member

8. pgraves New Member

furmangg,
    I have emailed you directly.
    Paul