SQL Server Performance

Merge Replication for Huge Tables (40 millions records)

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by ben5173, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ben5173 New Member

HI,
    Izzit possible to use merge replication for 40 millions row ofrecords for synchronization purpose? SQL 2005 Compact edition will beused at the client side.
    I tried using INTEL XEON 3.2Ghzprocessor with 4GB of ram and 400GB of harddisk space but still failedto create snapshot and client synchronization.
    Thank you and have a nice day
  2. satya Moderator

If this is connected to the other threads you have posted, please continue discussion under there as it will be easy.
    Also as a test you have to test the network in thsi case.
  3. ben5173 New Member

It should be a different topic, since i was asking whether it is possible to do merge with huge table. There were no network needed, both subscriber and publsher in the same pc for the testing period. Is there any other way to do sync except merge for SQL compact edition for huge tables?
    thanks
  4. satya Moderator

Never had such indepth experience with Compact edition, hence nothing much I can say. As referred in other thread you could refer to MS support for such a requirement as it seems this is heavily accessed.
  5. dineshasanka Moderator

What is the error message you are getting when snapshot failed
  6. ben5173 New Member

Hi, thx for the replies guys!
    Sorry about the late replies, i was working desperately for a solution for that situation. =)
    There were two scenario for the error:
    1. Stop at certain percentage and the whole system/PC hangs.
    2. Query Timeout, Waiting for a response from the server.
    To get away with these 2 problems, i created my empty table snapshots before inserting data. =)
    Bad idea, sync from client to server took like forever to finish the sync. I found out that it only happens on huge tables.
    performance drop drastically when rows in table exceed certain amount.
    @@ I have to drop merge replication (sad), now i was working on RDA PULL method. Seems to solve the forever waiting problems but with lots of tedious work ahead for update,delete and conflict solving. I will still keep on updating the merge hoping someday i can use it. =)
  7. satya Moderator

If the hardware is not able to cope up then it is good idea to upgrade them as well, not on the server but on the client side.
  8. ben5173 New Member

I will remember that~ thx
    currently still testing on RDA.