SQL Server Performance

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by aaronsandy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. aaronsandy New Member

Hi!
    I am getting the following err when my asp application is connectiong to the db hosted remotely.What to do ?what is the problem

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

2. aaronsandy New Member

i googled a lot to find the solution but unfortunately nothing worked.Pls suggest
  3. Argyle New Member

This is a standard general network error. To troubleshoot such issues use telnet command. I'll paste in the same reply as your post about named pipes. Note that if you are connecting over the internet you usually can't use named pipes, you need to use TCP/IP as you did in this case as one can see from the error.

--------

Can you telnet to the sql port on the server? If not verify network connectivity.

On the SQL server verify the port is uses, normally 1433. Write down the IP of the server.

On the client open a command prompt and type:
    telnet ip_of_server 1433

for example:
    telnet 10.1.1.33 1433

If you get "could not open connection to host" error you have a network issue. Check network settings and firewalls etc. If you can establish a connection you will get a blank screen in the prompt.

If you can connect by ip but not name:
    telnet my_sql_server_name 1433

then you have a name resolution issue. Check your DNS or WINS settings or connect to the server by IP (which normally is a bad idea)
  4. aaronsandy New Member

I got blank screen after connecting the server by telnet in both cases.
    with ip and with name.
    But still I m getting the same error with my application

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

5. Argyle New Member

Use the odbcping.exe utility to test connection from the client. You can find it on the SQL Server install CD.

How to use Odbcping.exe to verify ODBC connectivity to SQL Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138541

If that works you might have some incorrect parameters in your applications connection string.
  6. gsxrian New Member

Does SQL Server 2008 have this feature ?