SQL Server Performance

Migrating DTS to SSIS

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by SQL2000DBA, Jul 28, 2006.

1. SQL2000DBA New Member

Hi,

Please provide me your input how to migrate DTS to SSIS. I am confuse with online article which says i can migrate DTS to SSIS but wont be available to Edit. Is it so ?. Did any one experience any issue.

Thanks and Regards
    Ravi K
  2. dineshasanka Moderator

Well, my experience is migrate is not workign as expeting. So my advice is to buitl them from the scratch.

----------------------------------------

3. ekb18c New Member

This all depends on your definition of migration. As the previous poster had said, migration doesn't work like they said it would.

Example: If you use dynamic properties in a DTS package then migrate it over to SSIS. It won't work, the dynamic properies that is. What you can do is import the DTS packages over to Sql 2005 and then in BIDS use the 'Execute DTS package' to call the DTS. This works! You must remember that have to DL from MS, this way you can edit the DTS packages in SSMS. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143706.aspx

Also if you have any send mail tasks in your DTS packages, please remember to add a semi-colon to the end of the email names if you are using MAPI.

4. satya Moderator

I would go with Dinesh's suggestion that for the packages with complex queries its better to rebuild from scratch, SSIS has already few features that can be acheived with few declaration in the package. For the smaller packages such as moving or updating data between the tables with simple query its better to migrate.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.