SQL Server Performance

Migrating to new SQL box

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by alex8675, Jul 16, 2009.

1. alex8675 New Member

I'm moving production SQL assets to a new box this week. I've been testing and the new box is going to be OK. But is there anything I can do before/after the move to make sure the database(s) are primed for productions. In particular, so I do anything with statistics (or anything else I'm forgetting) to make sure the new box comes up to speed quickly?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
    Assuming you did all the migrations task, you should full update statistics in the new box.
  3. ndinakar Member

stats should be updated after you migrate your data. also reindex all your tables. Some of the pre-migration tasks you can do are - creating logins, permissions (you can script out the database and create a shell db on the target sever).. may be move some SSIS packages... check your server configurations - max memory limit, and any other server settings can be set before hand.
  4. madhuottapalam New Member

New production server and old is in same version? Are you upgrading from lower version to higher version? If not, you can move using Backup/restore or detach /attach. You will have to move the SQL Logins /Jobs/Packages separately. As already mentioned post restoration in the new server, you need to rebuild the indexes and update the stats(even index rebuild automatically update stats also). It is always better to have a rollback plan in place. And also ensure that all the service packs are applied in the new machine.
    Madhu