SQL Server Performance

mirroring: two instances of SqlServer on same machine

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Database Mirroring' started by jtb1234, Aug 17, 2009.

1. jtb1234 New Member

hello all,
    i'm trying to set up mirroring between two databases that are installed on two different instances of sql server on the same machine. i get an error saying that the database on the named instance needs to be restored from a backup file, but when i try to do so, i get an error messages saying 'the backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing database.'
    i read that one problem is that i'm trying to restore to a new database that was created at a different time than the original but has the same name. i tried to change the name of the new database in my RESTORE statement, but then i get this error: 'the file is in use by another process.' but i dont know which process (i've tried using microsoft process explorer and it doesn't even list the backup file from which i'm trying to restore onto the named instance).
    another possible solution that i read regarding the first error message above is to RESTORE WITH REPLACE but when i try to restore the log backup, i get an error saying 'the log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are ready to roll forward'.
    any tips?
    thanks in advance.
  2. MohammedU New Member

What is the recovery option you are using in SQL db restore...
    You should use NORECOVERY option...
  3. jtb1234 New Member

i am using NORECOVERY and it still gives me the 'the file is being used by another process' message
  4. satya Moderator

Are you using any third party tool to backup the SQL Server databases?
    As a test try to backup the database and restore tha onto other instance, then try to initiate the DBmirroring.
  5. jtb1234 New Member

i'm not using any third party tool.
    backing up the database and restoring it onto the other database- thats what im trying to do in the first place, but it's the restore that i'm having problems with. it's during the restore that i'm getting all the error messages i list above.