SQL Server Performance

Mixed Editions?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by sql_jr, Oct 18, 2007.

1. sql_jr New Member

Can someone confirm definatively that you need the same EDITION for both PRINCIPAL and MIRROR in all db mirroring models?
    Can't do EE to Standard or vice-versa? (excluding high performance) thx
  2. techbabu303 New Member

3. satya Moderator

See my presentation http://sqlserver-qa.net/blogs/bc/ar...rroring-by-ssqa-in-sql-server-open-world.aspx on effective usage of DB Mirroring and I suggest (by exp.) you should control the sessions with same edition.
    Though it is not compulsory but in case of any features that are available in Enterprise may not be on Standard, if the failover has happened. So this is where you might lose the plot and the best practice is to manage Principal and Mirror on same edition of SQL Server.
    So far Witness you can use either Workgroup or EXPRESS (free) as it doesn't store any details for data.
  4. sql_jr New Member

This is what I thought (I'm just setting up a test/POC). My configuration is as follows:
    Principal: 32-bit Enterprise
    Mirror: x64-bit Standard
    When I get to configure security for the mirror, I can't go any further and get this message"
    " This mirroring configuration is not supported. Because the principal server instance, testsrv, is not Standard Edition, the mirror server instance cannot be Standard Edition."
  5. satya Moderator

Other way round it is possible having enterprise as Principal and standard as mirror, but as suggested you should have similar editions in between the servers.