SQL Server Performance

Monitoring SQL Server I/O usage

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by darkangelBDF, Oct 28, 2008.

1. darkangelBDF Member

Good day everybody. I'm back... AGAIN. This time my question is around monitoring SQL. My manager has asked me to come up with a report-like scenario. I need to be able to tell him how our servers are performing, etc. He also wants me to suggest improvements, etc. All is good and well and I know how to use perfmon and profiler, etc. What I'd like to do though is build up a database where I can store information and draw up reports using a tool like Reporting Services or Crystal. One thing he is hammering on is he wants to see transaction amounts going through our databases. My question is this:
    What tools / measurements can I use to give him exactly what he wants, especially relating to transaction amounts? What can I do to have it stored in one central database? Things like that.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

What about dashboard?
  3. darkangelBDF Member

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. I do have Dashboard but I find that it's at a certain point in time kind of report. I need to present to my manager each week the average transactions (say per hour) for the week, and then on a monthly basis, highlighting the peak as well. It's annoying to me, but that's what he wants.
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

A hard work.1) Use profiler with TSQL and RPC without smtm.2) Filter any other application. (means: trace only your application).3) Include start an en end time columns.4) Store trace in one sql table.5) After profiler, run some query to count rows between hours, days, etc.6) Create a beautiful excel with graph. 7) Write title: Transactions per hour, day, month.8) Send to your boss.You can assume this: one row means one transaction. (not really true, but close).
  5. Elisabeth Redei New Member

6. darkangelBDF Member

Thank you so much for the replies. I'll definitely be playing around with DMVStats. If all else fails, I'll do it the hard way later on.