SQL Server Performance

More or Less

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

I caught up with a friend last night who works in the financial services industry. Due to the current credit situation the company he works for is in a position where they have been forced to reduce their gearing. The company currently has two properties on the market which were valued mid-last year at over two billion dollars; however, they have not been able to sell them even with an asking price of only 1.2 billion dollars. As a result, 100 of their staff were laid off yesterday in order to try and reduce costs. My friend although concerned about the future of his own job as an in-house developer asked what the future meant for DBAs.
    To be perfectly honest I don't know the answer to this question; however, my crystal ball tells me that the future is very bright. Although a lot of people are talking about doom and gloom I think that the downturn will mean an increase of work. One of the key reasons is that companies with a strong balance sheet will be looking to acquire companies under financial stress and someone needs to do the data migration. I have noticed over the past two weeks that the number of jobs for data conversion and migration roles has increased significantly. Are you seeing any trends in the DBA market that defy the negativity of the popular press?
    - Peter Ward
  2. phcahill New Member

That's really heartening to hear as I arrive in Brisbane from the UK April 1st.Any tips on where to start looking for T-SQL development or DBA work would be much appreciated.RegardsPaul Cahill
  3. pward New Member

I would subscribe to the RSS feed for seek.com.au as there have been a few positions listed in the last week
  4. JJeffreySchwartz New Member

I see it as it has always been - when execs see or hear the word "recession" - they immediately gut the computer department - they are the first laid off - the last hired!! This is because today, as always, few execs know what the computer department actually does - it is a black hole to throw money into!!! Today in Atlanta – the AVERAGE IT person changes jobs every 28 months. We are all looking for stability – in a market built on the instability of changing software – about every 18 months!!!!!
  5. phcahill New Member

Thanks Peter. Looks like there's plenty of interesting work in the Brisbane area.IT is a vital tool to help create a competitive advantage, retain customers and increase sales and marketing opportunities.