SQL Server Performance

Moving database to SQL 2000

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by user789, May 9, 2011.

1. user789 New Member

Hi all,
    I'd like to move my SharePoint database from SQL Express 2008 to SQL 2000 however I'm concerned about the performance impact on the SQL 2000 server. The SharePoint database is quite resource heavy and I'm worried that if I move it to the SQL 2000 server it will affect the performance of the other databases already on that server. I'm a complete novice when it comes to SQL server so can someone tell me if it is possible to retrict resources by database?
    Thanks
    Claire
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Theoritically what you saying is a disaster, you want to downgrade the SQL version, going back to SQL 2000 which is out of mainstream & extended support from MS. This also have a risk of not having security or hotfix in any case.
    Also why you are using SQLExpress for the Sharepoint when you can use Workgroup or Web edition which is a lesser cost editions compared to Core editions of SQL 2008.
  3. user789 New Member

Hi, thanks for your response.
    I see what you mean, downgrading is probably not the best idea - SQL 2000 is the only version we have in the office at the moment, we're hoping to upgrade this or next year. It would proabably be best to wait until this is done.
    I used SQLExpress as it was free and met our requirements at the time however we've plans to use SharePoint a lot more and SQL Express no longer meets are requriement as it has a 10GB database size limit. I'm not sure about the Workgroup or Web edition you mentioned, I presume these have licensing costs? We were hoping to do this at a low cost so I'm not sure if the bosses would approve more software
    Thanks
  4. satya Moderator

5. Jahanzaib Member

SQL Server 2005 or Later is schema based ,its engine is design to take advantage of new hardware like HARD-NUMA, like multiple Cores etc and SQL Server 2000 is not and you are going to downgrade you have to downgrade the OS as well because of compatibility issues as operating system level also,
    you must check the share point version is supportable and you will have performance issues
  6. satya Moderator

Good point the latest version of Sharepoint 2010 requires all the components on 2008 and higher versions...
    however I'm still interested to listen back from Claire about the solution or proposal that was put forward.