SQL Server Performance

Moving Deployed Reporting Services Reports

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services' started by PaulTeal, Jul 30, 2007.

1. PaulTeal New Member

We will making a change to our Reporting Services deployment next month. We will be moving from our SQL 2000 server to a new SQL 2005 server. In addition, we will moving from a Local Catalog Deployment to a Remote Catalog Deployment. My question is this: Is there a way I can prevent my team from having to manually redeploy our reports in the new system? They have not been diligent about saving the Visual Studio solution or project files, so they will have to pull the most up-to-date RDL's off the server and deploy them on the new server one by one.
    I suppose I can install SQL 2000 on the new server first, then move the Reporting Services databases to the new server, then upgrade the server to 2005, but installing 2000 and upgrading to 2005 does not sound like a best practice. I would prefer a clean install of 2005. Does anyone know if I can move the deployed reports from one server to another?
  2. satya Moderator

I believe everything will be upgrade-in-place for Report Server. Reporting Services 2000 reports can be run on 2005 though there won't be support for any features that are new in 2005. Reports will be automatically upgraded if opened in the 2005 Report Designer."
    Also look at the topics under BOoks online 2005 (updated) for more information on handling the upgrade path.
    Relevant MSDN posts in thsi case;
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1833330&SiteID=1
  3. dineshasanka Moderator

There are issues when upgrading if you have used MDX queries in your reports
  4. PaulTeal New Member

Jasper Smith's RS scripter looks like it may be our best solution. We are trialing the software now; and this is probably how we will transfer the reports.
    If anyone else is looking for this free product, I downloaded it from www.sqldbatips.com.