SQL Server Performance

Need a job

Discussion in 'SQL Server-Related Job Postings' started by NewDBA, Jan 12, 2004.

1. NewDBA Member

Hi!
    Just was laid off.
    Looking for SQL DBA/Crystal Rep. / VB /Access position in Toronto or GTA.
    Does someone has any suggestions?
    Thank you.
  2. satya Moderator

Sorry to hear the news, have you gone thru Monster jobsearch or canada.computerwork.com job sites for any reference.

Good luck for the job.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. ChrisFretwell New Member

Monster is good, plus more and more employers are using it. And check the career section of the local paper, on whichever day they put the careers in (careers vs help wanted not sure how to explain it). This is when employers put in the larger ads listing skills etc. And if nothing comes up soon, consider using a head hunting firm.

I changed jobs in September, and I know they went through a long process to find someone (they found me because someone who used to be with a head hunting firm came looking for me specifically at monster.ca). And for my old position, for them to staff it, they first went the paper and monster.ca route but when they didnt find someone suitable that way, went to the head hunting firms.

Some employers go directly to the head hunters because it saves them the hassle of reading through the hundreds of resumes from people who are not qualified enough to apply.

Experienced DBAs with good references are in very high demand (at least in Vancouver) so you shouldnt have much trouble.

Chris

4. FrankKalis Moderator

5. NewDBA Member

Nice to hear some encouragement.
    I am looking on
    www.monster.ca
    www.workopolis.com
    www.hotjobs.ca

So far nobody called.
    So there is no chace I can demonstrate my experience.

Have to change my name from newDBA to oldDBA...........ha-ha.....
  6. ChrisFretwell New Member

Well, I've lived in Vancouver for 6.5 years now and there has been a demand the entire time I've been here. When I came here, I was still 50%developer, 50%dba and the headhunters lept on the dba side and I had an interview the next day, the job offer came the day after that. Where I am now, took over 3 months of hard searching to fill this position. And the company I left had almost 5 months of searching to find someone qualified. I get requests for permanant and consulting positions often. The key is experience. I had to do a small written exam for this job, that apparently not all that applied (all who called themselves dbas) were able to complete (some had a hard time even starting it).

To the new/old dba, if you're not finding anything via the websites and papers, go to via a headhunting firm like CNC.

Chris
  7. NewDBA Member

I got a job!!!

Yesterday was watching news and reporter said that it easier to get a gun in Canada than find a job.I don't know about guns but to find a job is not easy.
    I have a feeling that those job description on workopolis and monster are not valid.
    At least this is my impression.

I also figured out that if you currently employed than employers have interest to you but if you don't have a job the situation is not good for you at all.

Anyway thank you people for support and understanding in my jobless journey.
    I really glad you even exist.

And probably will be back here with my questions/comments on Monday.

thank you
  8. Luis Martin Moderator

Good for you.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com
  9. satya Moderator

So did you get a gun along with job.. [8D] good luck in your new venture.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  10. bradmcgehee New Member

It is great that you found a job so quickly. Good luck on your new adventure.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com