SQL Server Performance

Need help upgrading SQL 2005 cluster on windows 2003 to SQL 2008 cluster on windows 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Clustering' started by suleman_3014, Jan 20, 2010.

1. suleman_3014 New Member

Hi All,
    Can somebody please help me with the sequence of actions I need to perform for upgrading the OS and SQL cluster as below:
    Need to upgrade 2 node active/active SQL server 2005 cluster on windows 2003 server to 2 node active./active SQL server 2008 cluster on windows 2008.
    we use sql server standard edition and windows 64 bit enterprise edition .
    These are my live servers and would prefer a solution with the least down time.
    I have been a bit hasty in jumping on the upgrade with out prior planning and here is what I have done till now:
    1) Failed over both sql instance on to node 2.
    2) Unplugged node 1 from the cluster and unplugged all the shared disks from node 1
    3) rebuilt the OS on node 1 from windows 2003 to windows 2008.
    4) This is where I am at the moment, I am stuck thinking if i can really join windows 2003 and windows 2008 onto the cluster?? If I am able to join the upgraded node back to the cluster, I am quite not sure if this node can take the ownership of the 2 sql instances.
    Could somebody please confirm if what I am doing is gonna work , or paste me a link to a microsoft article on upgrading as per my requirement, I am sure there must be some document,but just can find it yet.
    Regards,
    Suleman
  2. moh_hassan20 New Member

use the SQL Server Installation Wizard to upgrade a SQL Server failover cluster to a SQL Server 2008 failover cluster
    have a look: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191295.aspx