SQL Server Performance

Need some advice for good set of Min and Reccomended System Requirements for a SQL Setup

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by chewie, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chewie New Member

Hi all.
    Been doing some research on the latest processor technologies, and requirements for running SQL Server. This looked like a great place to start with some questions I had.
    I'm trying to put together a Min and Reccomended spec for a SQL Server (2005 or 2008 preferably running on Windows Server 2003 or 2008) that:
    * Can handle 30k-50k transactions a day
    * Data is basically graphical in nature, so large amounts of graphical data will be crunched and spit back through the SQL server
    The key here is raw horsepower. The faster the better. Clustering shouldn't be an issue, so SQL Std and Win Srv Std should be fine here.
    At a bare minimum I ascertained that I'd probably be looking at:
    * Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz
    * 4GB RAM (DDR-2 8600)
    * 500 GB of storage on a 7200rpm SATA (3.0gbs) and RAID 1 or 5 based setup
    * Windows Server 2003 or 2008 Standard
    * Dual 10/100 NICS, perhaps in a teamed mode
    My recommended stats would be something along the lines of:
    * Intel Xeon Quad Core, 3.0ghz
    * 8GB RAM (either DDR-2 8600 or DDR-3 12800 )
    * 1TB storage on a 10000rpm SATA (3.0gbs) and RAID 1 or 5 based setup
    * Windows Server 2003 or 2008 Enterprise
    * SQL Server Standard
    * Dual gigabit NICs, perhaps in a teamed mode or even load balanacing with Win Enterprise

Thoughts?
    I don't need to get into brand specifics, but recommended hardware (PERC controllers, etc) are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  2. chewie New Member

Anyone?
  3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Is this database used 24/7?
    IS this a OLTP or OLAP based application?
    What kind of growth is expected on database on daily basis and for next 3 to 5 years?
  4. chewie New Member

* DB will be online 24.7
    * 20-30% growth during the next 3-5 years
    * OLTP
  5. satya Moderator

Ok, now the clarity is coming I would suggest to stick your plan for and few more questions:
    * Intel Xeon Quad Core, 3.0ghz
    * 8GB RAM (either DDR-2 8600 or DDR-3 12800 )
    * 1TB storage on a 10000rpm SATA (3.0gbs) and RAID 1 or 5 based setup
    Here, do you have SAN participation or dividng the individual storage with appropriate RAIDs?
    * Windows Server 2003 or 2008 Enterprise
    WIndows 2008 - have you tested the application or vendor certified the application on this operating system?
    Why you need Enterprise edition, can't you go with Standard?
    * SQL Server Standard
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms143685.aspx on editions for SQL 2005.
    * Dual gigabit NICs, perhaps in a teamed mode or even load balanacing with Win Enterprise
    Yes, you could even look at software based load balancing methods for application scalability.