SQL Server Performance

New Hardware For SQL Server

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by mcosy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mcosy New Member

HI All,
    I'm trying setup new Sql 2000 Server and can you recomend the hardware. Think of Windows 2003 64bit OS with 32 bit SQL 2000 ( NO for SQL 2005)
    Current Server Statistics are
    Transaction per mint =150,000.00
    Database's Size : 45GB, 25GB....few 5-10GB
  2. satya Moderator

Whats the budget you have in place?
    I would suggest with HP proliant ml 380 g5, dual-core 5150 cpu on 4GB memory, serial ATA-150/SAS 140 smart array p400 512mb and additionally 1 raid 10with 3 partitions & 1 raid 5 with partitions.
  3. mcosy New Member

HI,
    Thanks, But without external Storage? happy to spend upto 30-40K
  4. satya Moderator

Then best to speak to local hardware vendor, asking for quotes on the server hardware is best to start.
  5. mcosy New Member

Hi As per JO best configuration as follows. But just confuse with transaction logs and sql log ( *.LDF) where we put those 2 types of logs in this followin config?
    lets assume the following
    controller A, 2 disks raid 1, Array 0
    controller A, 6 disks raid 10, Array 1
    controller B, 2 disks raid 1, Array 2
    controller B, 6 disks raid 10, Array 3

OS - array 0
    Log - array 2

on each of array 1 & 3
    create 3 partitions
    data will go on array 1 & 3, partition A
    temp will go on array 1 & 3, partition B
    backup will go on array 1 & 3, partition C
    And also what do you think about these tow servers.
    The summary of the price is as follows: IBM 3650 2 x Quad 8GB RAM Option 8 x HDD Server Hardware : A$ 17,550.50 12 x HDD External Drive EXP3000 : A$ 10,728.00 HP ML370 G5 2 x Quad 8GB RAM Option16 x HDD Server Hardware : A$ 23,749.00 12 x HDD External Drive MSA60 : A$ 14,555.20
    IBM is lot cheaper but any recommendation?
  6. mcosy New Member

Hi,
    No help so far?????
  7. satya Moderator

It may be true that price difference between vendors is huge in the budget aspects, but think about after sales service and any issues to resolve them quickly.
    Also consider the application & database growth in terms of data in next 3 to 5 years, based on that spending few grand more will definetly fetch you good results.
  8. mcosy New Member

HI,
    I think IBM and HP both support is OK. But is there any big performace with above two system ? attaching external storage for data? How abt the SAS HDD Size 73 GB or 146GB?
    Thanks,

9. satya Moderator

Go for 146gb instead of lower one that will help to manage capacity in future as well.
  10. mcosy New Member

the performance is better with larger capacity?
  11. satya Moderator

Not really, its to accomodate the unprecedented growth and performance may be good with larger memory and not with storage (as far as my experience is concerned).
  12. mcosy New Member

HI
    Thanks Guys, One more thing to sort out and just bit confuse with transaction logs and sql log ( *.LDF) where we put those 2 types of logs in the Server?
    Everyone asking to put log into RAID 1 but not sure
    raid 1: Transaction Logs or SQL Logs (*.LDF) ?
  13. satya Moderator

Yes that is best one for the sake of performance.
  14. mcosy New Member

HI,
    Thanks, But where do i put LDF files? with Data files?
  15. satya Moderator