SQL Server Performance

New SQL Build

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by kennyunger, May 7, 2010.

1. kennyunger New Member

Let's pretend that I'm building a completely new rig for my main ERP SQL database. I am a systems administrator by trade, so I am a novice when it comes to DB related setups.
    The database is 30GB and serves 60 users.
    I would say that the Read/Write ratio is 80/20.
    The database is accessed by the ERP application as well as Crystal reports that can pull up to a couple million records.
    Available Hardware:
    Motherboards
    Super Micro X8DTi-LN4f with 2 Intel Xeon X5570 Processors and 24GB DDR3 1300
    Tyan S2932 with 2 AMD Opteron 2224 Processors and 4GB DDR2 667 (Can buy/add more DIMMs)
    RAID Controllers
    Adaptec 3805
    Adeptec 5805
    SAS Drives
    4 146GB 15K
    12 73GB 15K
    OS
    Windows 2003 Standard
    Windows 2003 Standard x64
    SQL
    SQL 2000 Standard
    SQL 2000 Enterprise
    Limitations
    Case Backplanes support 8 drives total
    ERP application only supports SQL 2000.
    What RAID configuration would you use for best performance? RAID type? Stripe Size? Partition Cluster Size?
    If we add memory to the Tyan motherboard, would the Super Micro be overkill?
    If we have more memory than the size of our database, doesn't that mean that the whole database would eventually reside in the cache?
    So if you were me, exactly how would you set this up given the available resources?
    Thank you so much for any advice.
  2. ndinakar Member

I am not a hardware expert but will provide my $0.02.
    SQL 2000 is in extended support phase meaning you will get just security updates and nothing else. So, this will be a concern for me.
    I would also cap the memory available to SQL Server (SQL 2005 does a much better job of managing RAM than 2000). Leave about 2-3 GB for the OS and allocate the rest to SQL Server, assuming nothing else is running on the box. Go for 64 bits - both OS and SQL Server.
    Since your workload is more reads than writes, RAID 5 should be good enough.
  3. kennyunger New Member

Thank you for the reply.
    I really wish that I could move to SQL 2005 or even an open source alternative, but unfortunately I'm stuck with SQL 2000 until we cough up enough dough to buy a new ERP solution.
    I believe SQL 2000 Enterprise 64 bit is only for the Intel Itanium architecture, so I'll have to use a 64bit OS and the 32bit SQL 2000 Enterprise with the AWE switch enabled. That should allow SQL to address up to 32GB of memory.
  4. ndinakar Member

Yes SQL 2000 64 bits is only available in IA version. The additional memory can only be used for data caching and not plan caching.