SQL Server Performance

Not able to move System DB to new LUN (SQL Cluster)

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by johncarpenter, Nov 10, 2008.

1. johncarpenter New Member

Hi,
    Recently, I am performing a test on migrating the System DB (which sit on the same LUN as user DB) to another new LUN.
    The steps I taken was from the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071.
    But now my problem is: After performing the migration on all the system DB, and restart the SQL services, I found out that the Master database is on the New LUN and the remaining system DB (msdb, tempdb,model ) are still pointing back to the old LUN.
    More weird is when i restart the SQL server services, my Master database will point to old LUN, and my remaining systerm DB will point it to the new LUN. They will never be the same LUN ![:S]
    May I know why this happening? and how to overcome it ?
    Thanks a million.
    John
  2. ndinakar Member

3. johncarpenter New Member

Hi ndinakar,
    I follow the link given, but when i reach this step:ALTER DATABASE mssqlsystemresource MODIFY FILE (NAME = data, FILENAME= 'G:Microsoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLDatamssqlsystemresource.mdf');GOALTER DATABASE mssqlsystemresource MODIFY FILE (NAME = log, FILENAME= 'G:Microsoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLDatamssqlsystemresource.ldf');GO
    It show me following error:Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 1Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'mssqlsystemresource'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 1Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'mssqlsystemresource'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.
    Thanks again.
    John
  4. satya Moderator

Did you attempt as specified in the article:
    Start the instance of SQL Server in master-only recovery mode by entering one of the following commands at the command prompt. The parameters specified in these commands are case sensitive. The commands fail when the parameters are not specified as shown