SQL Server Performance

Operating system error = 32(The process cannot acc

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by gnreddy06, Jul 5, 2007.

1. gnreddy06 New Member

Hi All,

Can any body help me ?
    I am getting the following error when we execute a job which takes bkp to disk..

2007-07-04 23:19:02.89 spid96 BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'I:sqldumpOfflineCopy.BAK' failed to create. Operating system error = 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.).

No other jobs are running at this time..
    we are using thrird party tool( TDP backup) to take backups.

Please help me in this issue...

Many Thanks in advance..

2. satya Moderator

Things to check:
    - Ensure no anti-virus or anti-spyware tool is installed.
    - Ensure the SQLagent has relevant privileges to access the file.
    - Ensure the path & filename mentioned correctly.
    - If you are using third party tool to perform backup, then check whether the relevant drivers or fixes are updated.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
  3. amu_27 New Member

we also use the TDP and it sometimes does it. Please check the TSM and TDP configuration and try again.
  4. gnreddy06 New Member

we don't get the above specified error daily..For some days it runs successfully & for some days it fails to complete successfully..
  5. danny123 New Member

I have got this error couple of times but all the times something was wrong with backup device. recreate the backupdevice and take backup there. You can check the path and the network connection to that location.

Thanks
    Danny
  6. MohammedU New Member

It should not report as file being used by another process if it is not used...

Under the computer management/Shared folders/open files and see which one is open and by home...

MohammedU.
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
  7. satya Moderator

So check the event viewer and monitor all the processes for the days when it is failing. Als you haven't confirmed whether your issue falls on the category listed on my reply above.

quote:Originally posted by gnreddy06

we don't get the above specified error daily..For some days it runs successfully & for some days it fails to complete successfully..

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
  8. gnreddy06 New Member

My actual problem is...

Every night we run a batch job.
    This job is not SQL job. Its not realated to SQLserver Ajent. This job triggers from another remore system.We use TDP tool to take backup & to resote as well.

The job takes full backup of Database "AA" to I:sqldumpOfflineCopy.BAK in local system(myserver) & then restores(replase) that backup on to another database "BB" in the same system(myserver).

"j$SQLDataBB.D01" is the location where BB database sits.

Ussually it takes 30 min to complete ( Backup AA & restore it on to BB).

But now a days it is taking more that 2 hors to complete..

When i checked in the error log, i found the following info.

create. Operating system error = 32(The process cannot access the
    file because it is being used by another process.).2007-07-04
    23:19:02.91 backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP
    DATABASE AA TO DISK='I:sqldumpOfflineCopy.BAK' WITH STATS = 5,
    INIT

ANS4987E Error processing '\myserveri$sqldumpOfflineCopy.BAK': the object is in use by another process

ANS4987E Error processing '\myserverj$SQLDataBB.D01': the object is in use by another process

Sometimes the job runs within 30min only. Sometime it takes(now a days) more that 30min to complete fully..

Please help me now..
  9. satya Moderator

I have to say this is something to do with that tool and privileges required that is executing this tool for backup process. Say if you have anyother monitoring tool on this server then by default these files are accessed during that monitoring process and backup kicks off, the error is nothing but if the file is being used by another process say anti-virus/anti-spyware or any tape backup software then SQL will not be able to proceed further.

I would suggest to report to the vendor in this case,as nothing much we can do on SQL Server.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    @http://www.askasqlguru.com/