SQL Server Performance

Optimizing Client Performance

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by nerik, Nov 8, 2002.

1. nerik New Member

I've done an installation of an application running with MSDE on a Win 2000 Server.
    The DB is very small. The client pc are only 4. Their o.s. is Win XP Professional, configurated on Pentium III and 128 MB RAM pc. Althougth application seems to have a good performance on the server, the client response is very quiet slow. I've sniffered the network (hub switching 10/100, cat.5 cables, right network adapters, no bottlenecks) and everything seems to be ok.
    [?]My question is: which are ALL the settings (hard/soft) that i can verify/change/optimize on my clients pc in order to improve the performances?!?
    Thanks in advance! Have a nice week-end everyone![8D]
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

I am assuming that the client application works well when run on the server.

The first thing to do is to verify that you are using the same network library on both the client and server. Generally, you want that to be TCP/IP.

Second, check to see that the MDAC on the clients is at the same level as on the server. I have seen some cases where mixed MDAC versions have caused performance problems.

Third, are you using a DSN or DSN-less connection from your clients to your server? For best performance, use a DSN-less connection.

Of course, it may not be any of these issues, but they are a first attempt. If none of them work, then I would perform a Profiler trace and see if that provides you with any clues.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com