SQL Server Performance

Owning Your Database

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 16, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I think that owning a home is very much like being a database administrator. When you first purchase a home everything is all shiny and new; however, once you move in and start to live in it you start to notice the details that you overlooked previously, such as a missing light bulb or a broken window hinge. Now these things don't need to be addressed straight away, but there is an impact if they are not looked at. For example, by not replacing a broken hinge additional wear occurs on the other hinges meaning that they will need to be replaced sooner and potentially the extra load could cause a split in the window frame to occur.
    As database administrators often we will identify small imperfections in the environments that we manage such as a failed job or maybe a query that is taking a little longer than usual to run. Just like the window's hinge, if these issues are left unchecked then additional problems may arise. If the job that was failing was a job that performed the database backups and a recovery needed to be performed, you can imagine the impact that this potentially could have. Do you have a maintenance process that you use for the SQL Server instances that you mange to ensure that issues are identified and addressed before the whole house falls down around your ears?
    - Peter Ward
  2. vipwarhammergold New Member

WAR! I was thrust into the battle right away. warhammer goldThere was explosions and yelling, and plenty of NPCs and player characters running around. In the distance I could see canon fire. As far as the lore goes, Mythic did this right.warhammer gold From the onset, you are in a constant state of war. Playing the Empire, one of the first thingswarhammer gold I ran into was a Public Quest (or “PQ”), and I joined my fellow comrades in arms to fight against Chaos sympathizers and a giant. I had to stop a second and look up at my level (um, I mean rank) again. Being that I’ve played MMOs before, age of conan goldI’m used to the slow-paced grind as you get to know your character. However, here I was thrown right into the action and — for better or for worse — PvE (player vs. environment) seems to take a back seat.All PvP all the time:warhammer gold This game is heavily PvP (player vs. player) with the scenarios (queued instances), RvRs (realm vs. realm — open areas designated for PvP), and a few of the PQs* warhammer gold (public quests — open area mini-boss battles you can join with random people on your side). The PvE and quests seem to be overshadowed. warhammer goldThe lore I was looking for is there, but it’s more incorporated into the PvP action and not what I was expecting. Somethingwarhammer gold I found out was that the realms are defined by levels, and once you reach a certain level you can’t go back to an RvR zone. Each zone is demarcated by “tiers” warhammer goldand if you pass a certain level you graduate into the higher tier. If you happen to get your diploma while being in a lower tier,aoc gold this happens…I turned into a chicken with one hit point.warhammer gold Pretty funny, and a unique way for Mythic to makewarhammer gold sure any higher rank characters don’t move into the lower PvP areas.aoc gold buy aoc gold cheap aoc goldage of conan gold buy age of conan gold cheap age of conan goldwarhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer goldwarhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer goldwarhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer goldwarhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer goldwarhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer goldwarhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer gold warhammer gold buy warhammer gold cheap warhammer goldwarhammer gold wow gold
  3. vipwarhammergold New Member

4. AngryDBA New Member

We have a continuous improvement programme that keeps an eye on the TOP 50 worst performing stored procs.We also review the scheduled jobs on a regular basis to see if there are any efficiency savings there.Half the problem with inherrited or legacy systems is that there is scant documentation so trying to understand what a procedure is supposed to do vs what it actually does is not always straight forward.One of worst nightmare procs turned out to be virtually obsolete but it took several months to get to the point where everyone agreed that its function was redundant. Losing that baby bought back 3 hours of weekend processing.