SQL Server Performance

P2P replication issue in SQL Server 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Replication' started by BalasundaramRangasamy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Hi, I have a issue in P2P replication in SQL Server 2008. We recently setup the P2P with two nodes, very frequently the distribution database is growing too big, in our case it is 200gb now. Whenever the distribution grows big, the 'distribution clean up job' takes many hours to complete the job.
    I have also reduced the retention period from 72 hours to 6hrs and now I have kept only 3hrs, but still the distribution database growing massive. I dont know how to resolve this.
    Also I am not sure, whether is there any bug in SQL Server 2008 replication. Quick help is really appreciated, as the system in UAT and requires quick resolution from the client.
  2. preethi Member

Generally distribution database grows when transactions are not delivered. can you check whether replication is working?
    This can happen due to various reasons, including wrong statistics and not enough hardware resources.
    I am also suspecting some blocking issue in your system. It is better to check whether the cleanup job removes enough rows...
  3. MohammedU New Member

4. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    What is the service pack level on the SQL instances?
    Asreferred by Mohammed you might see whether its the issue with Distribution agent and look at the logs for further information.