SQL Server Performance

Performance Advice - OS File Location

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by holland_stephen, Jan 20, 2003.

1. holland_stephen New Member

I am planning to build a new SQL Server 2000 box. This will be a dedicated SQL Server box, supporting multiple (up to 50) small databases that average 600 MB in size. Normally, only 10 -15 of these databases will be in use at any given time.

I will be using an existing Dual Pentium 400 Xeon box, with 2GB of RAM.

I plan to keep the data on it's own RAID 5 array, the logs hopefully on a separate RAID 10 but probably on RAID 5 or 1 due to budget, and backups and all other files (OS, SQL Server, Pagefile) on another RAID 1 array.

Should the Windows 2000 OS components be stored on an array separate from SQL Server system files?

If so, does it matter if the Windows 2000 OS components and the pagefile reside on the same array?

Any other opinions regarding the proposed configuration as to how performance might be affected.

Thanks for your input,

Steve
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

If you are trying to eek out every ounce of performance, then putting the Windows 2000 OS and pagefile on its own drive will help, but realistically speaking, you probably won't see any noticable difference in you do or don't.

I generally locate the OS files, the pagefile, and the SQL Server files on the same RAID 1 drive, put the logs on their own array, and the data on their own array.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. satya Moderator

On above to Brad's suggestion it would be worth to check sections defined in this homepage, which covers the idea pretty much.

Satya SKJ
  4. holland_stephen New Member

Thanks for the response, Brad. I figured as much, but really couldn't find too much about any benefit with regard to separate storage of OS files on the website.

The reality is that unless the benefit would be enormous it could not out-weigh the cost of providing the additional storage space.

Thanks again for the help, and might I say, GREAT WEBSITE!!

Thanks, Steve