SQL Server Performance

Performance is too slow...

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by kirankadali, Jun 19, 2009.

1. kirankadali New Member

Hi,
    I am not a DBA. I am just a Developer. We are using Sql server 2005 in the server. But at my desk, SQL Server 2008 client is installed to work with the data that is in the server. SQL server 2008 is too slow while executing the queries or while generating the Scripts for the stored procedures or the tables.
    But at my colleagues desk, its working fine. I am unable to find out the difference. Please help me to get out of this.
    Thanx in Advance.
    Kiran Kadali
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forum!.
    Try to full update statistics and test again.
  3. kirankadali New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I am not good at SQL. Update statistics is for what? Is it for the tables and stored procedures. If so, I think its not the probelm with tables. As I mentioned, At my colleagues desk, the same data base is working fine. when I right click on the tables, Its taking 3 to 5 seconds to show the context menu.
    I think its not the kind of performance tuning or Optimization.
    Let me know what the options I need to select while installing the SQL Server Client tools on my system.
  4. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    As referred by Luis the statistics are the important information about the rows for each table that are stored as system.catalog to help the query optimization,
    In this case I would like to say that your initial question is an open, which means not much information about where exactly the performance is sufferred. Is it during a query execution or in general such as whenever a database properties are viewed.
  5. kirankadali New Member

Thank U satya, for the information.
    In my case, not only at the query execution time. Even when I right click on the table, to get the context menu it takes 4 to 5 sec delay. And also while generating scripts for the stored procedures, its taking more than 5 mins to get the list of procedures on the new query window.
    While executing those scrits, Its taking around 10min and I am getting connection time out in the output window.
    If it is the case of optimization or performance, it should not work even at my colleages desk.
  6. satya Moderator

Is it a production server or development server?
    What kind of other applications are running on that server?
    What is the physical memory & allocated memory to SQL>
  7. kirankadali New Member

It is a development server.
    Oracle database is aslo ther in that.
    I think its not the problem at the server end.
  8. satya Moderator

How about the memory on the server?
    ALso the service pack on Server side and client side?
  9. noel.mckinney New Member

Try registering the server in Management Studio on your workstation. I was having the same issue that you've describe with a server, but as soon as I added it as a registered server the problem went away. Maybe that was just a coincidence, but it can't hurt to try. Here's a link describing how to register a server in Management Studio 2008:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190631.aspx